Author - Amit Gabani
ASME Section V is a referenced Code which deals with NDE requirements like Personnel Qualifications, Procedures, Equipment, Calibrations and Demonstration of the NDE procedures.
ASME Section V comprises Subsection A, Subsection B, and mandatory and non- mandatory appendixes.
Subsection A covers the methods of non-destructive examination, and Subsection B contains various ASTM standards covering non-destructive examination methods that have been adopted as standards.
The standards contained in Subsection B are for information only and are non-mandatory unless specifically referenced in whole or in part in Subsection A or referenced in other code sections and other codes, such as ASME B31, Pressure Piping Code.
The non-destructive examination requirements and methods included in ASME Section V are mandatory to the extent they are invoked by other codes and standards or by the purchaser’s specifications. For example, ASME Section III requires radiographic examination of some welds to be performed in accordance with Article 2 of ASME Section V.
ASME Section V does not contain acceptance standards for the non-destructive examination methods covered in Subsection A. The acceptance criteria or standards shall be those contained in the referencing code or standard. For Example ASME Section VIII, Div-1 or 2.
Currently (ASME BPVC Section V, 2021 Edition) includes 21 articles in subsection A.
Added new Article 20, Requirements for Computed Tomography Examination & Article 21 for Pulsed Eddy Current (PEC) Examination in 2021 Editions.
Basic NDT Methods,
- Article 2 - Radiographic Examination
- Article 4 - Ultrasonic Examination Methods for Welds
- Article 5 - Ultrasonic Examination Methods for Materials
- Article 6 - Liquid Penetrant Examination
- Article 7 - Magnetic Particle Examination
- Article 8 - Eddy Current Examination
- Article 9 - Visual Examination
- Article - 10 Leak Testing
Subsection B provides some documents adopted by Section V
- Article 22 Radiographic Standards
- Article 23 Ultrasonic Standards
- Article 24 Liquid Penetrant Standards
- Article 25 Magnetic Particle Standards
- Article 26 Eddy Current Standard