Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) - Level II
What will I learn
The Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) Level II course provides in-depth training for professionals seeking advanced proficiency in the TOFD method of ultrasonic testing for weld inspection. TOFD is a highly sensitive and accurate technique used in nondestructive testing to detect defects in welds. Unlike traditional amplitude-based sizing, TOFD relies on the time of flight of ultrasonic pulses to determine the position and size of reflectors, making it a more reliable method.
In a TOFD system, a pair of ultrasonic probes are positioned on opposite sides of a weld. The transmitter probe emits an ultrasonic pulse that is received by the probe on the other side, known as the receiver. In undamaged pipes, the receiver detects two waves: one traveling along the surface and one reflecting off the far wall. However, when a crack is present, diffraction of the ultrasonic wave occurs at the crack tip(s). The depth of the crack tip(s) can be automatically calculated using simple trigonometry based on the measured time of flight of the pulse.
The TOFD Level II course covers comprehensive topics to enhance participants' knowledge and skills. The course includes:
- Ultrasonic theory
- Theory of diffracted ultrasonic waves
- Principles of digitization
- Hardware used in TOFD
- Equipment calibration and setup
- Extensive practical training
- Analysis software utilization
- Analysis and interpretation of TOFD results
- Reporting techniques
- Relevant standards and PCN documentation
Responsibilities of Certified Level II:
A Level II certified individual in Ultrasonic TOFD has demonstrated competence in performing NDT according to established procedures. Within the defined scope of their certification, Level II personnel may be authorized by their employer to:
- Select the appropriate Ultrasonic TOFD technique for the intended test method
- Define the limitations and applications of the testing method
- Adapt Ultrasonic TOFD codes, standards, specifications, and procedures into instructions suitable for the actual working conditions
- Set up and verify Ultrasonic TOFD equipment settings
- Perform and oversee Ultrasonic TOFD tests
- Interpret and evaluate test results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications, or procedures
- Prepare written instructions for Ultrasonic TOFD testing
- Carry out and supervise tasks at or below Level II
- Guide personnel at or below Level II
- Report the results of Ultrasonic TOFD tests accurately and effectively
Training & Exam Duration:
- The training duration for TOFD Level II certification is 80 hours, which may vary depending on the specific certification scheme and training provider. Additionally, candidates may need to complete additional training hours as per the SNT-TC-1A standard.
- To obtain PCN Level II certification in TOFD, candidates must have a minimum of 12 months of supervised work experience in the field. The required experience duration is based on a nominal 40-hour workweek or the legal workweek duration.
- Note: Candidates should consult the specific requirements of the certification scheme and contact the training provider for detailed information about the training and examination process.
About this institute
Institute Name : WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC.
Language : English
Charge : Paid
Location : Dubai
Mode : Online
WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC is a leading provider of training and certification in the field of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT). Established in Dubai, UAE in 2014, we are an approved institution by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and offer NDT Level I, II, and III training services in line with the PCN Scheme and ISO 9712.
Our Certification Body, the British Institute of Non-destructive Testing (BINDT), is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS). As an Authorized Training Organization (ATO) and Authorized Qualification Body (AQB), we conduct PCN Level 1, 2, and 3 NDT Certification programs.
Furthermore, we hold certification from URS for operating a Quality Management System that complies with ISO 9001:2015, ensuring the provision of quality training and examination of NDT Personnel.
In addition to our NDT training, we also offer a Radiation Safety Training course that fulfills the requirements set forth by esteemed authorities such as the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulations (FANR - REG - 24), RG 006, RG 007, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA - SSG46), and Pub 20.
At WENS, we are committed to delivering comprehensive and high-quality training services. Our expert instructors and state-of-the-art facilities provide a conducive learning environment to help individuals gain essential NDT skills and knowledge.
Choose WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC for excellence in NDT training and certification. Join us to unlock your potential and embark on a rewarding career journey in the field of Non-Destructive Testing.