Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) - Level I
What will I learn
The Time of Flight Diffraction (TOFD) Level I course offers comprehensive training in the use of the TOFD method for accurate and reliable nondestructive testing of welds. TOFD utilizes the time of flight of ultrasonic pulses to determine the position and size of reflectors, making it a highly sensitive and precise method for detecting defects. Unlike traditional amplitude-based sizing, TOFD provides more reliable results by focusing on the time of flight of the ultrasonic pulse.
In a TOFD system, a pair of ultrasonic probes are positioned on opposite sides of a weld. One probe serves as the transmitter, emitting an ultrasonic pulse, while the other probe acts as the receiver, capturing the reflected signals. In undamaged pipes, the receiver picks up signals from two waves: one traveling along the surface and one reflecting off the far wall. When a crack is present, diffraction of the ultrasonic wave occurs at the crack tip(s). By analyzing the measured time of flight of the pulse, the depth of the crack tip(s) can be calculated using simple trigonometry.
The TOFD Level I course covers a range of essential topics to equip participants with the necessary knowledge and skills. The course includes:
- Ultrasonic theory
- Theory of diffracted ultrasonic waves
- Digitization principles
- TOFD hardware utilization
- Calibration and equipment setup
- Extensive practical training
- Analysis software
- Analysis and interpretation of TOFD results
- Reporting techniques
- Relevant standards and PCN documentation
Responsibilities of Certified Level I:
A Level I certified individual has demonstrated the competence to perform NDT tasks according to written instructions and under the supervision of Level II or Level III personnel. Within the defined scope of their certification, Level I personnel may be authorized by their employer to perform the following TOFD-related tasks by provided NDT instructions:
- Equipment setup for TOFD testing
- Perform TOFD tests
- Record and classify test results based on predefined criteria
- Report the results accurately
- Level I certified personnel are not responsible for selecting the test method or technique to be used or for interpreting test results. They are capable of carrying out and supervising tasks at or below Level II.
Training & Exam Duration:
- The training duration for TOFD Level I certification is 40 hours. The exact duration may vary based on the specific certification scheme and training provider. Additionally, candidates may be required to complete additional training hours as per the SNT-TC-1A standard.
- To obtain PCN Level I certification in TOFD, candidates must possess a minimum of 3 months of supervised work experience in the field. The required experience duration is based on a nominal 40-hour workweek or the legal workweek duration.
- Note: Candidates should consult the specific requirements of the certification scheme and contact the training provider for detailed information about the training and examination process.
About this institute
Institute Name : WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC.
Language : English
Charge : Paid
Location : Dubai
Mode : Online
WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC is a leading provider of training and certification in the field of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT). Established in Dubai, UAE in 2014, we are an approved institution by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and offer NDT Level I, II, and III training services in line with the PCN Scheme and ISO 9712.
Our Certification Body, the British Institute of Non-destructive Testing (BINDT), is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS). As an Authorized Training Organization (ATO) and Authorized Qualification Body (AQB), we conduct PCN Level 1, 2, and 3 NDT Certification programs.
Furthermore, we hold certification from URS for operating a Quality Management System that complies with ISO 9001:2015, ensuring the provision of quality training and examination of NDT Personnel.
In addition to our NDT training, we also offer a Radiation Safety Training course that fulfills the requirements set forth by esteemed authorities such as the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulations (FANR - REG - 24), RG 006, RG 007, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA - SSG46), and Pub 20.
At WENS, we are committed to delivering comprehensive and high-quality training services. Our expert instructors and state-of-the-art facilities provide a conducive learning environment to help individuals gain essential NDT skills and knowledge.
Choose WENS Technical & Occupational Skills Training LLC for excellence in NDT training and certification. Join us to unlock your potential and embark on a rewarding career journey in the field of Non-Destructive Testing.