Metallurgy for NDT
What will I learn
Image credit @zetec
Metallurgy for Non-Destructive Testing
Please note that this course is available on request.
Duration: 40 hours
Our comprehensive seminar on metallurgy is designed for individuals involved in the design, evaluation, or use of non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques for aerospace products, materials, and structures. The syllabus has been carefully crafted to provide a broad understanding of metallurgy applicable to the aerospace manufacturing industry, covering various materials and in-service defects. While the course retains its technical value, it is presented in a manner that is accessible to NDT personnel in the airline and manufacturing industries, who may have limited formal education. Prior knowledge of NDT is preferred for participants.
The course not only serves as a valuable resource for professionals but also prepares students intending to take the ASNT Level III or PCN Level 3 examinations, as it covers the Materials and Processes portion of the Basic exam.
- Overview of the course and objectives
Materials and Processes:
- Understanding the basic concepts of materials and processes in aerospace manufacturing
Iron and Steel Production:
- Exploration of iron and steel production methods and their impact on material properties
- Importance of grain size and its influence on material strength and characteristics
- Fundamentals of ingot casting and its role in shaping metallic structures
Recrystallization of Grain Structures:
- Analysis of grain structure recrystallization and its effects on material properties
- Examination of metal forming techniques used in aerospace manufacturing
- Understanding welding processes and their impact on material integrity
- Overview of casting techniques and their implications for material properties
Other Secondary Processes:
- Discussion of secondary processes in aerospace manufacturing, such as heat treatment and surface treatments
Discontinuities and Defects:
- Introduction to various types of discontinuities and defects in aerospace materials and structures
Aircraft-Related Materials Science:
- Overview of metallic structures used in aircraft and their properties
Strengthening of Metals:
- Understanding methods employed to strengthen metals in aerospace applications
Fracture Life Prediction:
- Techniques for predicting fracture life in aerospace materials
- Examination of fatigue behavior in metals and its significance in aerospace applications
- Identification and prevention of environmental cracking in aerospace materials
The Selection of a Metal:
- Considerations for selecting suitable metals for aerospace applications
- In-depth study of materials used in airframe construction, such as aluminum alloys, magnesium alloys, and titanium alloys
- Principles and applications of hardness testing in aerospace materials
Steels for Use at Elevated Temperature:
- Understanding the behavior of steels in high-temperature environments
Metals for 500-1150 Degrees Celsius (Superalloys):
- Exploration of metals suitable for extreme temperature applications
Non-Ferrous Heat Treatment:
- Overview of heat treatment techniques for non-ferrous metals
- Introduction to non-metallic materials used in aerospace applications
Adhesives in Aircraft Structures:
- Understanding the use and properties of adhesives in aircraft structures
Sandwich and Honeycomb Structures:
- Examination of sandwich and honeycomb structures and their applications in aerospace
Fiber Reinforced Plastic:
- Study of fiber-reinforced plastics and their role in aerospace manufacturing
NDT Capabilities and Limitations:
- Discussion of the capabilities and limitations of various NDT techniques
- Summary of key points covered in the course
- Purpose and mode of presentation
- Non-destructive Evaluation Technique Catalogue
Join us for this comprehensive seminar on metallurgy for aerospace NDT, where you will gain valuable insights into materials and processes critical to the industry. Our experienced instructors and comprehensive curriculum ensure that you acquire the knowledge needed to excel in your NDT career.
About this institute
Institute Name : Aerospace NDT Training LTD.
Language : English
Charge : Paid
Location : Takeley, Essex
Mode : Hybrid
For over 30 years, Aerospace Inspection Training Limited has been a leading provider of training and examinations in Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) for the international aerospace industries. We specialize in delivering high-quality NDT training services that meet the rigorous standards of the industry.
Accreditation and Compliance:
Our company is accredited by the British Institute of NDT, a testament to our commitment to excellence in NDT training. We are also compliant with ISO 9001-2008 standards for all our training and examination services, ensuring the highest quality and consistency in our operations. Our examinations are designed to meet the certification requirements of PCN (Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing), EN4179, and NAS410.
Certified and Experienced Personnel:
Our team of training and examination personnel hold certifications in EN4179, PCN, and/or ASNT Level 3. They possess extensive knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, enabling them to deliver top-notch training and examination services. Additionally, we hold numerous company Level 3 approvals, including those from prestigious organizations like Rolls-Royce, GKN, and Boeing.
Comprehensive Range of NDT Training Courses:
At Aerospace Inspection Training Limited, we offer a wide range of NDT training courses to meet the diverse needs of our clients in the aerospace industry. Our current course offerings include:
- Liquid Penetrant (PT)
- Magnetic Particle (MT)
- Eddy Current (ET)
- Ultrasonic (UT)
- Radiography (RT)
- Bond Testing
- Thermography (IRT)
- Visual Inspection
- Etch Inspection
In addition to our core NDT training courses, we provide additional specialized courses to enhance the knowledge and skills of industry professionals. These courses include:
- Introduction to NDT
- Basic Radiation Safety Training
- Radiation Protection Supervisor
- Level 3 Preparation
- State-of-the-Art Training Facility:
Our headquarters boasts a brand-new training facility located in Takeley, Essex, adjacent to Stansted Airport. Equipped with modern technology and ample resources, our training facility provides an optimal learning environment for our students. Alternatively, we offer the flexibility of conducting training and examinations at our customers' premises worldwide.
With our highly skilled and experienced training staff and an extensive collection of aerospace NDT training samples, Aerospace Inspection Training Limited is recognized as one of the world's premier aerospace training establishments. We are committed to equipping professionals in the aerospace industry with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in their careers.
Choose Aerospace Inspection Training Limited for exceptional NDT training and examination services. Join us and experience the difference of learning from industry experts in a state-of-the-art training facility.