Basic Radiation Safety (BRS)
What will I learn
Course Desciption :
This comprehensive course is ideal for anyone working or associated with radiation generators and sealed sources, with a particular emphasis on industrial radiography personnel. The course is designed to meet the requirements of PCN, which stipulates that radiography certificates are valid only if the candidate has passed a PCN radiation examination within the past five years and holds a valid certification for Basic Radiation Safety or Radiation Protection to supervisor level.
What will you learn?
This course will provide you with in-depth knowledge of the source and nature of ionising radiation, basic physics, the behaviour of radioactive isotopes, and absorption processes. You will also cover units of activity and dose, radiation damage to the human body, somatic and hereditary damage, stochastic and deterministic effects, and early and late effects. The course also details the principles of radiation protection, methods of radiation protection (time, distance, shielding), dose limits, safe distance and other protection calculations, as well as guidance on the use of SI 3232:1999 and the relevant parts of ACOP.
In addition, the course will teach you about gamma containers and tests on them, packaging, labelling and transport, instrumentation and monitoring, and emergency procedures and equipment. The Radiation Protection Supervisor module will also include the requirements for Radiation Protection Supervisors, knowledge and understanding of the requirements to assess doses, carry out hazard assessments, implement contingency plans and emergency procedures, and the arrangements for the provision of dosemeters and the keeping of dose records.
Training is conducted in accordance with the requirements of BS EN ISO 9712, and the course concludes with a certification examination.
What will you leave with?
- Upon completion of the course, you will have the ability to:
- Identify the basic hazards and harmful effects associated with exposure to radiation
- Understand limitation requirements
- Calculate/evaluate safe distances and check dose levels
- Explain effective uses of shielding and distance
- Devise and execute contingency arrangements
- Experience emergency procedures
- Meet syllabus requirements for CSWIP and PCN
Please note that the responsibility for the appointment of a Radiation Protection Supervisor rests with the employer, whose attention is drawn to regulation 13 of the IRR 99 regarding the duty to consult one or more Radiation Protection Advisers.
To be eligible for this examination, candidates must:
- Hold a current PCN BRS certificate or an alternative that is acceptable to BINDT
- Have completed a PCN-approved course comprising 24 hours of formal training to RPS level as outlined in the current edition of PCN/GEN Appendix Z1
- Provide evidence of nine months relevant experience as a holder of a PCN Basic Radiation Safety certificate or an alternative that is recognized by BINDT
- The price listed includes examination and levy fees, and all candidates attending a PCN examination (initial, retest or renewal) must provide photo ID (e.g driving licence number, passport number, PCN ID card) on the day of the examination. Failure to do so will result in the candidate being turned away.
About this institute
Institute Name : TWI Training
Language : English
Charge : Paid
Location : Great Abington
Mode : No
Institute Description :
TWI is a world-renowned organization in the field of technology engineering, providing top-notch research and consultancy services to its members. With a reputation for expertise, professionalism, impartiality, and confidentiality, TWI collaborates with some of the most influential companies worldwide across all industry sectors.
Training with TWI can lead to internationally recognized qualifications that offer tangible benefits to industry by equipping learners with new competences. If you are an individual, training with TWI can enhance your skills, resulting in career progression, and our certification provides evidence of your competence to an internationally recognized standard.
At TWI, we regularly update our portfolio of courses and certification schemes to maintain our position as the world leader in our field. You can be assured that your training is internationally recognized by certification award bodies, including CSWIP, BGAS-CSWIP, PCN, EWF/IIW, ASNT, IOSH, and NEBOSH.
In summary, TWI offers industry-leading training and certification schemes that provide learners with new competences, career progression, and internationally recognized qualifications. Our updated portfolio of courses and certifications ensures that learners receive the most current and relevant training available, making TWI the preferred choice for industry professionals worldwide.