Nondestructive Test (NDT) Engineer - Radiography
Posted 335 day ago
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of human space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention to ensure safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will perform inspections involving multiple NDT methods for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of assuring part integrity, quality and life span. Responsibilities for this position include part specific technique development for digital radiography and computed tomography-based inspections, involve performing volumetric reconstructions to identify off nominal conditions, failure analysis, metrology and modeling. Functional knowledge of the operation of computed tomography and digital radiography equipment, the physics of radiation and radiography, and volumetric modeling software are required for this position.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Coordinate with relevant design teams to optimize inspection of hardware including composite structures, GTAW weldments, laser welded hardware, additive manufactured components and castings
- Create manufacturing and in-service NDT procedures
- Design reference standards for complex inspections
- Review and approve drawings to identify correct NDT method is applied
- Develop NDT inspection plans and sequencing
- Support Probability of Detection (POD) studies
- Assist with interpretation of inspection results
- Conduct internal and external process audits to ensure engineering requirements are being met
- Review/approve internal and supplier inspection techniques
- Develop and qualify NDT methods for atypical inspections
- Establish requirements, generate bid specifications, and make down select decisions for NDT equipment and systems
- Assist with the development and maintenance of company NDT certification plan including training of Level 1 and 2 inspectors per NAS 410 requirements
- Certified Level 3 or substantive experience in digital radiography
- The ability to analyze data and quantify results
- Knowledge of industry NDT standards such as NAS410, ASTM E1742, ASTM E747, ASTM E1025, ASTM E1441, ASTM E1570-19, ASTM E1672, ASTM E1695, STM E2698 amongst others
- Demonstrated ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and solve complex problems
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in engineering or physical science
- ASNT Level 3 certification in radiography
- Functional understanding of non-x-ray NDT methods, such as penetrant inspection, ultrasonics, eddy current, and shearography
- ASNT IRRSP Certification or State issued Ionizing Radiation Safety Card
- Automated data acquisition/robotic collection experience
- Experience with AS9100 certification
- Experience with North Star Imaging, Nikon, and VisiConsult radiography systems
- Experience with high-energy radiography and computed tomography for industrial applications
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $137,175-$201,190
Compensation range for on site CA applicants is $137,175-$201,190
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs