Headquartered in London, Coltraco Ultrasonics is a global company and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of high-exporting advanced technology systems, products, and services.
- Level – Non-invasive contents monitoring of fluids and liquefied gases contained in tanks, containers, and cylinders of varying sizes
- Tightness – Identification and quantification of airtightness and water tightness in a variety of structures for room integrity, airtightness, and watertight integrity and combines flow rate calculations
- Flow – Non-invasive measurement and monitoring of volume, mass, and energy flow rates in a variety of pipework
- Thickness – NDT instruments for measuring thicknesses of various materials primarily for corrosion monitoring
Coltraco Ultrasonics aims to deliver genuine value for their customers through their scientific and institutional values, and the global quality of their commercial and technical services.
Products & Services
Multi-echo ultrasonic thickness gauge
The Portagauge® 5 multi-echo ultrasonic thickness gauge is a highly accurate and reliable thickness gauge for measuring the thicknesses of various metals and hard plastics, developed to meet BS EN 15317:2013 which is the standard for ultrasonic testing, characterization, and verification of ultrasonic thickness measuring equipment.
The Portagauge® 5 is capable of ignoring any coating up to 20mm in thickness, allowing the material’s true thickness to be measured.
We strive to offer the highest quality instruments, built with exceptional quality materials in the UK, and remain competitively priced in the market worldwide through our unique R&D position.
Some of the key advantages of Portagauge® 5 over our competitors:
- It can ignore paint coatings up to 20mm in thickness, giving you the material’s true thickness readings accurate to +/- 0.1mm
- Measurement units available in both metric (millimeters) and imperial (inches)
- A-scan and oscilloscope trace functionality is included to assist your measurements, observe the material condition, and help verify the correct return back wall echo to give you confidence that you are measuring the correct wall thickness
- We have tried and tested a large number of different materials, including various metals and hard plastics, and have created a built-in database in our Portagauge® 5 containing speed of sound data of 12+ different materials pre-loaded in the unit for convenience which also includes an option to enter custom materials
- For marine applications, it meets Classification Society requirements for marine thickness gauge measurement equipment and has an LCD backlight to allow working in dark, poor visibility spaces
- Battery life up to 12 hours continuous use on a standard 9V PP3 battery for easy replacement, with battery saving mode – turns off after 30 seconds of inactivity
- Technical support and advice are available throughout the lifetime of the unit and we are here to help you with your application
We have different sensor options to meet your inspection requirements:
- Our standard 2.5 MHz Dual-Element Sensor (Model No. DE2.5-14) is our most robust and widely used sensor option for metal thickness measurements. It has a 14mm diameter sensor face and a measuring range of 1.5mm – 100.0mm.
- Our 5.0 MHz Dual-Element Sensor (Model No. DE5.0-10) is our second most popular sensor option, commonly used for measuring wall thicknesses of small pipes. It has a 10mm diameter sensor face and is capable of measuring reliably on pipes no smaller than 25.0mm (1”) in diameter. It has a measuring range of 1.5mm – 100.0mm.
- Our 5.0 MHz Dual-Element Sensor (Model No. DE5.0-6) is mostly used for measuring wall thicknesses on your smallest pipes. It has a 6mm diameter sensor face and is capable of measuring reliably on pipes no smaller than 15.0mm (1/2”) in diameter. It has a measuring range of 1.5mm – 50.0mm.
Clamp-on portable flow meter
The Portasonic® 2.FL0 handheld ultrasonic transit time flow meter has been tested and calibrated at an ISO 17025 laboratory, capable of meeting accuracies of +/- 0.5% of the true flow rate. We strive to offer the highest quality instruments, built with exceptional quality materials in the UK, and remain competitively priced in the market worldwide through our unique R&D position.
The different types of flow measured by the Portasonic 2.FL0 are:
- Volumetric Flow Rate: such as liters per hour (l/h) or gallons per minute (gpm) etc.
- Mass Flow Rate: such as kilograms per hour (kg/h) etc.
- Heat or Energy Flow Rate: such as kilowatt hour (kWh) or British Thermal Unit (BTU)
- All measured values can be individually totalized giving you the total flow rate that has been measured during a particular measurement session.
Some of the key advantages of Portasonic 2.FL0 over our competitors:
- BUILD QUALITY: Our ultrasonic flow sensors are made using a special composite material to optimize ultrasound transmission.
- BUILT-IN OSCILLOSCOPE: All units come with a built-in oscilloscope for signal diagnostics that assists you in performing a reliable measurement as part of the setup process
- INTEGRATED THICKNESS GAUGE: Integrated ultrasonic thickness gauge allows you to perform simple NDT testing (ultrasonic thickness gauging) on the wall thickness of your pipe to determine wall thickness and look for signs of corrosion.
- ISO 17025 CALIBRATION: Option to include ISO 17025 calibration certificate to verify the accuracy of your unit, we work closely with an established ISO 17025 flow laboratory in the UK to ensure our equipment meets your requirements
Some of our main specifications:
- Works on pipes DN15 – DN 2500
- Works on most clean liquids
- Works on a wide range of pipe materials
- Accurate to +/- 0.5% under ideal conditions
- Measures flow velocities between 0.01 m/s – 25m/s
- Resolution of 0.25mm/s
- Repeatability of 0.15% of measured value
- Main units rated IP65
- Sensors rated IP66
- Sensors temperature range -20°C to +150°C
- Battery life up to 12 hours continuous use on a standard 9V PP3 battery for easy replacement
The main benefits of choosing non-invasive ultrasonic transit time technology over inline flow measurement technology:
- Clamp-on, portable and non-invasive which allows a single instrument to be used across multiple different pipes/pipe sections
- No installation costs such as drilling into pipes, therefore no downtime to the pipe network is present
- As there is no contact with the fluid being measured, there is no risk of pressure loss throughout your pipe network
- As with above, the fluid cannot damage the flowmeter, which could contribute to a longer lifespan and lower maintenance cost compared to inline flowmeters which are in contact with the fluid and risk being damaged by the pressurized flowing fluid