The Research and Applications Development group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicated to tackling challenging inspection problems.
We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
The Research and Applications Development group is composed of researchers with expertise in:
- Eddy Current/Eddy Current Array/Pulsed Eddy Current Testing (ECT/ECAT/PEC)
- Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing (PAUT)
- Full-Matrix Capture/Total Focusing Method (FMC/TFM)
- High temperature inspections
- Probability of Detection studies (POD)
- Signal processing
- Image processing
- Modelling of ultrasonic and eddy current inspections
- Modal analysis/vibrations testing
- Material characterization
- Fracture mechanics
- Bond testing
- Machine learning
- Wedge/calibration block/scanner design
- NDT procedure development
Services offered by the Research and Applications Development team include:
- Technique and procedure development for Eddy Current/Eddy Current Array/Pulsed Eddy Current, Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing based inspections at ambient and elevated temperatures: we can develop an inspection technique from scratch all the way through to code qualified. Our team will find the optimal inspection parameters using a combination of modelling (CIVA/COMSOL/Beamtool) and experiment, as well as provide setups, calibration procedures and a full POD/sizing accuracy study to fully evaluate the proposed solution (as required). We also have intimate familiarity with all relevant codes and procedures required for technique qualification.
- Full-Matrix Capture/Total Focusing Method based technique development/refinement: The Research and Applications Development group has been working with FMC/TFM for over 3 years and has gained considerable insight into how to best optimize FMC based inspection techniques. We can recommend the best probe/wedge/acquisition unit combinations as well as the best rendering paths to make any FMC based inspection successful.
- Design and manufacture of ultrasonic wedges (including high temperature wedges), calibration blocks and scanning equipment: the Research and Applications Development group has considerable experience in the design of NDT equipment/apparatus with in house machining and fast prototyping capabilities.
- Probability of detection and sizing accuracy studies: full validation of any NDT technique using Eclipse Scientific’s STATUS POD software.
- Ultrasonic characterization of materials: precise measurement of acoustic velocities, attenuation and dispersion characteristics of any test specimen.
- Feasibility studies: short term proof of concept type studies, aimed at providing customers with evidence that a proposed inspection methodology is likely to be successful and is worth further research.
- High Resolution UT Immersion Scanning: Research and Applications Development has a fully equipped, multi-axis immersion tank scanning system and can provide high resolution ultrasonic inspection of complex parts.
- Custom Software and Algorithm Design: our expertise in signal/image processing and machine learning applied to NDT inspections coupled with Eclipse Scientific’s industry leading software team can provide customized solutions for the acquisition, processing and analysis of NDT data.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (519) 372-1831 and ask for one of our innovation experts