Weld inspector using the OmniScan X3 flaw detector and its videoconferencing remote support tool
With cloud-based work tools taking the nondestructive testing (NDT) industry by storm, now is a good time to rethink your company’s communication and work methods. Whereas historically, support for inspectors in the field was limited by technology and access, now wireless connectivity and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions are expanding the possibilities.
Remote Support and Remote Collaboration Made Possible
The X3 Remote Collaboration Service (X3 RCS) is an app that's available as of MXU v. 5.9, the OmniScanTM X3 flaw detector’s onboard software. It offers an array of virtual support tools on wireless-network-connected OmniScan X3 series units.
Some of the capabilities offered by the X3 RCS:
- The OmniScan X3 user can host a video conference meeting with off-site collaborators, sending them an email invite from the X3 RCS platform on the flaw detector.
- Meeting participants can watch the OmniScan X3 live inspection results via their portable or smart devices, and they can, in turn, share their screens on the meeting platform.
- To help the inspector with the analysis, any meeting participant can make annotations that appear both on the OmniScan X3 screen and the shared screen visible to everyone.
- A meeting participant with a PC or laptop can request control of the unit and, when given the okay by the OmniScan X3 user, can stop and start the acquisition and access all menus.
Virtual Collaboration, Virtually Anywhere
Imagine the positive impact these sorts of tools could have on your efficiency and productivity. Here are five ways we think the X3 RCS can transform how your company operates for the better:
1. Resolve on-site issues immediately
Provid inspectors comprehensive remote support to reduce rework costs, improve productivity and quality, and avoid wasting time and resources trying to resolve problems that arise in the field
2. Gain resource deployment flexibility
From the office or another job location, one expert can support and assist multiple less-experienced OmniScan X3 operators in the field. This enables inspection companies to accept more jobs and send solo inspectors where they are needed regardless of their training level.
3. Train smarter!
Exploit the screen sharing, video conferencing, and remote-control capabilities to instruct and support beginner inspectors, enabling them to learn through solo on-the-job training.
4. Improve internal communication
Better organize and manage your jobs as well as client expectations through improved communication with inspectors in the field, staying apprised of progress and avoiding roadblocks.
Cell phone, tablet, and hands-free camera headset being used with the X3 RCS videoconferencing feature powered by Zoom
5. Respond with greater agility to your clients’ needs
Expedite critical decisions and minimize costly delays by communicating more effectively with project stakeholders from the job site. Invite them to a virtual meeting and show them real-time results displayed on the OmniScan X3 unit to support your analysis.
These are just a few ideas of how you can exploit the X3 RCS. Check out the X3 RCS webpage to get more information about all the functionalities. To get information about subscribing to the service, please contact your local sale rep.