The UK based client had a requirement to perform In-service radiography as an alternative to conventional film radiography.
Forth Inspection Service was approached to develop the Computed Radiography (CR) procedure & perform comparative trials.
Several Computed radiography systems were trialed with specific focus on the following key areas;
- Portability & robustness of unit
- Usability of system
- Software features for image quality & analysis
Numerous In-service corroded samples were initially radiographed using conventional film, followed by the various CR systems.
The final CR system was selected & Forth Inspection Service provided training on the system for the client’s radiographers.
Using a Computed Radiography system for In-Service inspection means that
- Reduced exposure time compared to film radiography
- Various software features to enhance digital image & subsequent analysis
- No need for darkroom facilities or processing chemicals
- Data transfer, results can be cut to DVD, USB or transmitted electronically